Have just come of several really rotten weeks at work. Left to my own devices, I probably would have spent this Saturday locked up in the house, watching cartoons and pretending that I was actually going to get dressed at some point and go out, only doing so if actually forced by lack of food.
The sister, however, was a Good Egg and didn't let me. She woke me up @11am and invited me to go strawberry picking, saying I needed to get out, have Niece & Nephew therapy, and play in the sun. I wavered for about 30 seconds, then managed to rally.
One of the great things about living on the edge of one of the largest food production regions in the world is that a good hour or two in the car leads one to *extraordinary* food stuffs. This time the goal was an organic berry farm on the Pacific Coast about an hour and half away, and actually the drive was the best part of the day. Nico opted to ride with me and Sebi and we spent the entire time talking about:
- Our mutual love of Baseball (and how we still need to go to a game)
- Nature camps (and how Nico thinks it's not fair that I don't get a summer break so I can go with him)
- Hockey (and how this year we will go to TWO games)
- Football (and how we're going to get Grandpa Rex (that's my dad) to take us to all the Cal games)
- Rugby (and why mummy won't let him play until he's bigger, but that's okay and oh my GOSH Auntie, you played it?!?)
- Nico's growing Karate prowess
- Oceans vs. lakes vs. Bays
- How he needs to read an entire chapter book to earn a Nintendo DS and agreeing that Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone will be tough but should earn him the device AND some games
- How Voodoo dolls work - and that he may ONLY practice good magic with one if he makes one
- That he is *offically* old enough to watch Doctor Who now, and how much he loved watching it and yes, we must watch it together (Tori has started them with Nine & Ten and they are getting to watch certain episodes - no 'Are you my mummy?' for them yet!)
- How kite surfing is really tough, but boogie boarding is more awesome
- Why Sebi is smelly but wonderful (with spontaneous song & howling time to boot - AROO!)
- Specualtion on why the sea lions all sit on the same rock covered in their own poop
- That when Nico is a teenager he and I are going to Australia to go surfing but I have to promise not to let the sharks get him
- How beautiful the coast highway is and how lucky we are to get to see it (kid has depth, I'm telling you)
- And - best of all - how Auntie is the most fun grownup ever and how I should never ever change and that I promise to always be fun
I now have 3 pounds of perfect sun ripened strawberries, a very happy but tired dog (he actually *bounced* with excitement - a new place with all his fav. people put him in a canine glow, which was totally amusing) and a need for Bisquick so I can make proper strawberry shortcake, although I may just go for heavy cream and brown sugar. Which, may I say, is the best decision I've been faced with in a month.
All in all, a better option than coocooning, and I hope all have had similarly good relaxing Saturdays :)
Highway 1 - next stop on your left, Asia
Nico giving Sebi a good scritch (after that damn dog took a serious dirt bath - Sunday will consist of BATH TIME)